I am also a big fan of the fattoush – a salad of mixed herbs and packed with grilled pitta bread. Often make this recipe in the spring/ summer months as it is light and quick to make. I griddle the pitta bread to give it a real charred taste. The sumac and lemon dressing is where the flavour is really at!
- 2 romaine lettuce
- Handful of radishes
- 1 red onion
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 tomatoes
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves
- Half a cucumber (seeds removed and roughly chopped)
- 3 pitta breads
- 4 tbpsn olive oil
- 2 tbspn sumac
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- Ground black pepper
- 1Griddle the pitta breads on each side for a couple of minutes.
- 2Add the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- 3For the dressing: mix everything together in a small bowl.
- 4Thinly slice the pittas and add to the mixing bowl with the salad.
- 5Pour in the dressing and mix everything together. Then serve!